Printer Friendly Version  Email A Friend  Add This  Increase Text Size  Decrease Text Size

Health Care, SNAP & Cash and Miscellaneous Programs

Applications for Health Care, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), and Cash Assistance  

You can apply for programs in-person at our agency, using a paper application available in our vestibule during office hours, call our office at 320-762-2302 to have an application mailed to you, or online in the Related Links section below.

Completed applications can be submitted:

  • By fax:320-762-3833
  • By email:
  • By mail: 809 Elm Street, Suite 1186, Alexandria, MN 56308
  • Contactless drop-off: items should be sealed in an envelope before being dropped off. There are two drop options:
    • Inside the entrance vestibule during office hours OR
    • Outside the front entrance available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 
  • In-person: at our lobby during business hours Monday-Friday 8:00am to 4:30 pm.

MNbenefits - DCSS 9-27-23

MNbenefits is a simple, secure web application that connects you with state and county services to help meet you and your family’s basic need.

Use to apply for:

  • Cash assistance
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
  • Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP)
  • Emergency assistance



Applying for health care depends on your specific situation. Choose the application that best matches your needs. If it is not clear which application to use, or if you would like the application mailed to you, please call us at 320-762-2302.

MNsure is Minnesota's health insurance marketplace to apply for the government-sponsored health care programs.

Use to apply for:

  • Medical Assistance (MA)
  • MinnesotaCare
  • Determine if you qualify for other financial help in the form of tax credits or cost-sharing reductions

Use the Application for Certain Populations (DHS 3876) if you are:

  • 21 years of age or older, with no dependents, and have Medicare coverage
  • 65 years of age or older
  • A child currently in foster care
  • Blind or have a certified disability
  • Applying for Medical Assistance for Employed Persons with Disabilities (MA-EPD)
  • Applying for help with your Medicare premiums.

Use the Minnesota Health Care Programs Application for Medical Assistance for Long-Term Care Services (DHS 3531) if you are:

  • Currently living in, or may need to move to, a nursing home
  • A person age 65 or older that would like services to help them stay in their home
  • A person under age 65 who is disabled that would like services to help them stay in their home.

If you have questions about your current MinnesotaCare case please call MinnesotaCare State Operations at 800-657-3672, as Douglas County does not process MinnesotaCare.

Other documents available:
-Medical Trip Reimbursement Form
-Request for County Burial Assets Sheet 2023