Printer Friendly Version  Email A Friend  Add This  Increase Text Size  Decrease Text Size

Subdividing Property

Platting versus Splitting:

A split is a simple way to divide a large piece of property that has not been previously split. It is a metes and bounds description of a new property which requires only a simple survey to complete. A plat is a more complex subdivision into lot and block descriptions that can be used to divide properties that do not meet the criteria to split.

Can I split property?

A tract of land that was an original quarter-quarter section, an original government lot or a parcel larger than 40 acres on or after January 1, 2002 is allowed a one time split. In order to determine if a split is allowed, a survey or detailed drawing must be presented to Land and Resource Management along with the name, address and phone number of the landowner. Please allow at least 10 working days for approval or denial of a split. Once the split is approved, a survey must be presented to the Recorders office along with a deed and proof that current taxes are paid in full. There may be a park dedication fee for the newly created property and an additional fee to split the property. Please see the current fee schedule for more information.

What is needed to plat my property:

Platting is generally done through a surveyor. Our office works closely with the surveying companies in the area to keep them updated about the rules and procedures associated with platting property in Douglas County. There are a number of requirements that must be met to submit a preliminary plat application. For more information, see the documents referenced to the right.